- 5-6 Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/2 c half & half
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 T flour
- 1 t rosemary
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 c Guinness
- 1 c beef stock
- 1 lb peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cube the potatoes. Cover with water. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Drain and mash the potatoes. Add the butter, half & half, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Brown the lamb.
- Add the carrots, garlic, onion and shallot to the lamb. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Stir in the flour. Cook for two minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, rosemary, Guinness, beef stock. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer for 15 minutes. Add the peas during the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- Spread lamb mixture in a baking dish. Top with the mashed potatoes. Make sure the potatoes form a seal against the edge.
- Bake at 400 F for 25 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.